Thursday, August 21, 2008

Crocodile is commiting fishicide!


Crocodile is eating Platy babies left and right. Now, we were over populated with platy babies, & I don't mind him eating a few of them, but he is tearing them UP tonight.

Nothing like a little microcosm of nature's predator-prey relationships right in your own home to explain to the kids. Yes, I realize I'm a nerd. You dont have to tell me. I am one with my nerdness. You have to be do be a biologist, it comes with the territory.

And for further proof, my kids recognized a green treefrog call last night outside their bedroom. And then their dad was teaching the scientific name *singing* Hyla cinerea, Hyla cinerea, Hyla....over and over again. I realize there is no hope for them NOT being nerds. Its in the genes, and their environment. This is one time were there is no winner in the Nature Vs Nurture argument!

And in case you weren't convinced of my nerdness, I was out in the rain barefoot the other day trying to track down the eastern narrowmouth toad I could hear calling. See, they normally live underground most of the time, and that is one we haven't caught yet to show the kids. But alas, I couldn't find him.

1 comment:

Just call me D said...

this just made me laugh! i am a nerd, although not of your caliber i must say (not that that's a bad thing, i'm an admirer of nerds)... i love books and useless trivia. will also watch a pbs special in a heartbeat :) and, taught school for 7 years. so that i think qualifies me a little.