When we were in DC this summer, we had the privilege of
visiting the memorials on the National Mall. When we arrived at Lincoln, we
made our way to the step where MLK Jr stood when he gave his famous speech 50
years ago. Hannah, having studied about him the year before in school, was in
awe of the spatial scale of the place. She had seen the pictures, so she knew
people stretched from the Lincoln memorial to the Washington Monument to hear
him give his speech. She knew some of the history around the quest for Civil
Rights in the 60s. We talked about how one person really can make a difference,
and that is one of the great things about this country.
Fast forward to the new school year. I have heard for years about how the
Mississippi Adequate Education Program (MAEP) has only ever been fully funded twice,
and how school districts around the state struggle to make difficult choices
and try to educate our children the best they can with that they receive. I have supported the school district Center
for Excellence by buying our car tag, and supported our teachers and educators
by staying involved with what our children are doing and helping them along the
way. But I haven’t really done anything else. This year, we find out that the
new state standards (known as common core - which I will blog about at a later date) are being fully implemented, yet we
do not have math or history textbooks to bring home this year. My child is in
the 7th grade. She has 7 classes.
2 electives, and one computer class. So that means she has 4 academic
classes. In other words, she does not
have a textbook in 50% of her academic classes assigned so she can bring them
home. Wow. 50%. That is
unacceptable. I live in a high
performing district that we CHOSE to move into 6 years ago because of the
schools and the economic indicators to suggest future growth and development. If we are struggling, what on earth is the
rest of the state dealing with?
I watch family after family leave public education in favor of private school and homeschool. I considered it myself. When all the motivated parents who can leave are gone, who will be left to fight for the ones who do not have a parents or guardians who can and will fight for them?
So, as a good social media consumer that I am, I post on
Facebook. Within 24 hours (and I only
have 400 friends, and many of them are not in MS) I hear from either educators
or parents in 7 different school districts around the state that they to, do
not have adequate access to materials. Math and History in mine. In others, literature, math, chemistry,
science, history – crazy!
I hear about a meeting that the Mississippi Department of
Education is putting on, one of a series of meetings around the state to discuss the
facts and fiction about the common core etc.
I attend. There might have been 30 parents there. Maybe. I suspect less, because there are a lot of MDE employees, school reps and a senator and a representative. We cannot ask questions directly, we must write them down and
hand them in. So, I write “How can we
achieve these standards if our children do not have adequate access to
materials and textbooks due to lack of funding and unfunded mandates?” I then gave the example that my child (with
new state standards in math) doesn't have a math or history textbook to bring
home. The Interim State Superintendent
said it was complicated, but it came down to a local issue. LOCAL? Are you
serious? We underfunded the MAEP $293
million this year ALONE – and provide only ~$20 a year per child for
textbooks. Not per subject. PER CHILD.
The average textbook costs $50-90 EACH.
So the funding from FIVE children is required for ONE book in ONE
subject! Workbooks cost from $20-30 each.
Online access, about $20 a subject. There is NO WAY School districts can
afford that cost on $20 a child.
I am shocked. Floored. Cant believe her answer. If I were the head of an agency that had been
underfunded, I would have said, well, it stinks but we were underfunded –
contact your legislative reps. NOT point the fingers back at the districts, who
are struggling to provide classroom sets of textbooks, hire and pay enough
teachers, and keep roofs over the heads of students (literally in my district,
we had a massive hail storm that required nearly $1/2 million from our rainy
day fund to cover the leftover costs of repairs) and it’s our fault? But then, I’m
not a politician nor do I serve in a will and pleasure position, so maybe I
just think I’d talk a big game.
I remembered my conversation with Hannah in DC. I remembered
that her English teacher this year had them write a letter to the president
about their opinion on a certain matter.
I told my child one person can make a difference. Our teachers tell us one person can make a
difference. Society tells us all one
person can make a difference. History tells us one person can make a difference. The Bible tells us one person can make a difference.
So can we?
I intend to try. I
have contacted my legislative reps. I’ve
contacted the parent advocacy group called “The Parents Campaign” – I want to
DO something. March. Petition, door to
door I don’t care. But we must rise to the challenge. I have a letter to the editor almost ready for the Clarion Ledger.
It doesn't matter if you have children in public education
or not, how well they are educated, WILL impact you at some point. We MUST ensure a quality education for ALL
Children.
Mordecai told Esther in chapter 4:14(b) “Who knows but that
you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?” Obviously, I’m
not a royal. Nor do I wield any real influence.
But what if maybe, just maybe, I was put I the place I am in, in
this stage of my life for “such a time as this” to effect real change? It may not be me, it may not be you, but
maybe if we do the things we are compelled to do, we CAN make a difference.
At least when its all said and done, my children will see that I am willing to fight for them and for what I believe is right. Maybe someday they can be the "one" to make a difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment