I am 100% unapologetically prolife.
Until the other day, I wasn't. I lived in fear. Fear of the unintended consequences, Fear of what to do when faced with a rape victim, how to talk to her, how to look her in the eyes and say she shouldn't kill her baby. Fear for friends who have experienced the horrendous pain of ectopic pregnancy. I researched the issues myself, read all the websites, looked up the parent and partner organizations (and still feel that Planned Parenthood is way more evil than any on the other side - but read their info yourself and decide).
Unintended consequences followed the Supreme Court Decision of Roe V Wade. Would anyone then, have ever thought, that the "Right" to an abortion would lead us to the culture of if you are pregnant just get rid of "it" and move on? I personally know several women who have decided to abort (for birth control, and yes, even rape) and regret it, spending years dealing with the pain.
A beautiful sweet friend of mine stood up in the face of hate and spoke her peace, about her story - its her story, and so many other women's too. Her story, has changed my opinion. In case you missed it, here it is again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBojovBw1-M&feature=share
This is what I wrote to her the day after I watched her video -
"I wanted to tell you Sunday night, but we were up in the balcony and then I never saw you in the reception, but the Holy Spirit called us to pray - really pray - intercede for strength for you. I didnt have a number for you and didnt think about fb till just now. I finally figured out why when I saw the video. You have no idea how God has used you, and I don't fully know either. But I do know how he used YOU to change ME!
I've been at every point on the abortion spectrum in my life time, from staunchly pro-choice in college, to pro-life myself but I cant tell you want to do, to pro-life except in rape/incest.
I began to waiver in my pro choice-ness when a friend of mine, in college, struggled for 10 years with the guilt of her abortion - to the point she sent a copy of the receipt every anniversary to the father...until she found Jesus, was healed and was able to burn the receipt and find the peace that her baby was ok.
I became pro-life for me but not tell anyone else what to do when I heard the heartbeat of my sweet Hannah.
Then, I became staunchly pro-life for everyone but rape/incest
when I saw the 6 wk ultrasound of my Emma, when we thought we were going to lose her so early - I KNEW in my heart of hearts that babies are babies before mommas even know they are mommas, but always struggled with the I cant look at a rape victim and tell her she shouldnt - until today, when I watched you.
You are more than a survivor, you are a champion, and I just pray I can be as gracious as you when explaining my beliefs.
Today, I became 100%, heart breaking for the pain women endure, pro-life - Thank you Ashley, thank you so much.
I honestly didnt know how to vote on the issue because of the rape/incest part - until today. I've struggled with know it was right, but not knowing how to handle the terrible pain of rape, having never been in those shoes. Thank you thank you thank you, and praise JESUS for putting you in my life."
Will there be unintended consequences? Maybe. But the God I serve is big enough and loves all of us enough to prevent that, by putting people in the right places to do his Will.
No comments:
Post a Comment